[ntp:questions] Documentation comments (Was: Re: Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file)

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Sep 9 17:16:26 UTC 2008

On 2008-09-09, Hal Murray <hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net> wrote:

> I like man pages.  apropos is where I start when I'm looking
> for things.

I like man pages for quick reference and info files for in-depth
references where full text searching (across a set of documents) is
needed.

> I hate buggy documentation.  That includes out of date man pages.
>
> I'd be happy with dummy man pages that told me to look in
> the HTML pages and where to find them.

Take a look at the current NTP-dev.

I have 4.2.5p128 installed on one of my Debian systems (using the
package produced by the NTP Public Services Project auto-builder and
available from http://packages.ntp.org/debian). The ntpd(1) man page
which shipped with that release was AutoGen-erated from the ntpd option
definitions. This man page does not refer the reader to the HTML docs
for more information.

FWIW Another Debian system here is using that OS'es current stable
release NTP package (4.2.2p4). The ntpd(8) man page included in the
package says "Version 4.0.98d November 17, 1999" in the footer and
claims to have been abstracted from the html documentation by Peter
Breuer <ptb at it.uc3m.es>.

> Are most distributions setup to deal with HTML documentation?
> Is there a common default place to put it?

It all depends on the OS.

/usr/share/doc
/usr/local/share/doc
/opt/doc

> If not, the collection on the web somewhere at ntp.org is
> probably good enough.

We have created the (searchable) NTP Documentation Archive at
http://doc.ntp.org to house the documentation for each stable release of
NTP.

The current NTP-Dev documentation is at
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/