[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Tue Sep 9 21:21:25 UTC 2008

In article <hmzxk.1841$yS5.1658 at edtnps83>,
 Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes:
>
> >James Cloos wrote:
>
> >> I read through most of the replies so far, but one thing I haven't seen
> >> noted is that this isn't an ntp issue at al
>
> >Did you mean service (8).
>
> >Treating it as a black box is basically how Red Hat is marketed; it is
> >basically in the same market as Windows.  People who want a white box
> >Linux are more likely to choose something like Slackware.

Agree.

> service is a dead simple program. It runs its argument from the /etc/init.d
> directory.
>
> Anyway, long ago we suggested that he looked in /etc/init.d/ntpd to see if
> there was anything in there that suggested which config file was being
> used.

I found the script, and started reading it, and will return to it.

> Or insert an echo "...."
> where ... is the exact line that that script runs to start ntpd to see if
> there are any interesting arguments to ntpd.
>
> Or put in an "env" in there to see exactly what the environment is that
> ntpd sees.

All good ideas.  Direct, and free of excess assumptions that things are
as things should be.

> It is just a damn shell script. It is not a black box.

I've been reading it, and it does seem simple, but haven't really
studied it yet.

> >I think the OP has gone far beyond what the average RHEL administrator
> >is expected to do in terms of looking inside the box.

That's for sure, and is why I'm doing the debugging, even though I'm not
a sysadmin.   The sysadmins really don't understand NTP.

> I find it extremely unlikely that RHEL uses anything but /etc/ntpd.conf but
> if it does then it is up to Redhat to document it. I suspect either user
> error or some admin in the past of this organization has changed things and
> never documented it.

Judging by the cruft accumulation in the trojan ntp.conf file, this is
not a virgin install, so I'd bet on confused sysadmins.  They may have
been trying to get it to work, not realizing that this ntp.conf file is
only a placebo.

> We have not had a report back from him as to what the
> results were of all the suggestions we made.

Because there is nothing to report yet, due to the press of other
business.

Joe Gwinn