[ntp:questions] Reachable and rejected

Dave Close dave at compata.com
Wed Sep 10 20:19:34 UTC 2008

I hope I didn't miss an easy answer while reading the FAQ, list archive,
and other documents online. I have some systems which are separated from
their time servers by a NAT proxy. Those which are not separated seem to
work just fine but those beyond the proxy don't keep time correctly. For
example, on one of them I got this output:

# ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
 server-1        172.16.2.5       2 u   52   64  377    2.022  -41630.  19.566
 server-2        172.16.2.5       2 u    6   64  377    2.121  -41601.  19.996

# ntpq -c as
ind assID status  conf reach auth condition  last_event cnt
  1 20192  9024   yes   yes  none    reject   reachable  2
  2 20193  9024   yes   yes  none    reject   reachable  2

Those time servers aren't ideal but they are beyond my control and these
are the only two I have available. The local firewall won't let me use
servers on the Internet.

What I haven't found while reading is how it is possible for a server to
be both reachable and rejected. Note that the reject condition is not
constant; the servers are accepted occasionally, but not for very long.

Can this situation be remedied?
--
       Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA       +1 714 434 7359
       dave at compata.com              dhclose at alumni.caltech.edu
        "Quantum computing is a marvelous way to show the non-
         intuitive nature of quantum mechanics." -Gordon Moore

--
Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA  "Politics is the business of getting
dave at compata.com, +1 714 434 7359    power and privilege without