[ntp:questions] NTP configuration

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 10 23:15:48 UTC 2008

Sami al flaish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with the NTP.
> 1-      I am using machine where the timezone set to (GMT) Casablanca mandatory.
> 2-      I would like to sync this machine with NTP Local Time in Norway.
> 3-      So currently we set manually the clock on my machine to Norway local time, because if the local
> Time in Norway   is 10:00AM means Casablanca is 08:00AM. So thats why we have to adjust the clock on this machine manually to 10:00AM to match Norway local time.
>
> The problem here if we sync to NTP server it will auto sync the clock back to 08:00Am. So the question Is there any way to keep the clock on that machine synced with the local Norway time even due if the timezone on that machine is (GMT) Casablanca without forcing the machine to sync 2 hours back.

There is no such thing as "NTP Local Time"

NTP keeps UTC.   You can configure your machine to DISPLAY local time.
If you are using Unix or Linux you can set a timezone variable, I think
it's called "TZ" to the offset of your local time from UTC and it will
display local time.  Windows has a similar facility.  If you have a
server with users in more than one timezone, each user can set his own
local TZ variable and the system will display local time for his session.