[ntp:questions] NTP configuration

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Wed Sep 10 23:07:55 UTC 2008

On 2008-09-10, Sami al flaish <sflaish at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a problem with the NTP.

You did not tell us what OS you are running ntpd on.

> 1- I am using machine where the timezone set to (GMT) Casablanca
> mandatory.

If you are using a modern OS the system clock runs in UTC and the time
is displayed in a system-wide, or per user, configurable time zone.

> 2- I would like to sync this machine with NTP Local Time in Norway.

You can't unless you are providing your own time-base.

NTP servers are synchronized UTC.

> 3- So currently we set manually the clock on my machine to Norway
> local time, because if the local Time in Norway is 10:00AM means
> Casablanca is 08:00AM. So thats why we have to adjust the clock on
> this machine manually to 10:00AM to match Norway local time.

You need to configure your OS to display the time in your time zone.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>