[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Sep 11 02:53:25 UTC 2008

>I'm not a sysadmin, but am digging into service.  I don't recall that
>the service man page was that helpful, but will look again.

service is mostly a shortcut to save typing.  If you think it is getting
in your way, run /etc/init.d/ntpd <whatever> by hand.  (It also
fixes up environment and cd-ed directory and whatever.)

The -x command to bash will print each line as it gets expanded
and executed.  So you might try something like:
  bash -x /etc/init.d/ntpd start
to see what is really going on.