[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

Bill Unruh unruh at physics.ubc.ca
Thu Sep 11 18:31:36 UTC 2008

Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> writes:

>In article <a6WdnXY1gfe4FVXVnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d at megapath.net>,
> hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal Murray) wrote:

>> >I'm not a sysadmin, but am digging into service.  I don't recall that
>> >the service man page was that helpful, but will look again.
>>
>> service is mostly a shortcut to save typing.  If you think it is getting
>> in your way, run /etc/init.d/ntpd <whatever> by hand.  (It also
>> fixes up environment and cd-ed directory and whatever.)

>Yes.  This is what we did to prove that NTP really could generate
>loopstats and peerstats.

No I suspect you ran /usr/sbin/ntpd, not /etc/init.d/ntpd
/etc/init.d/ntpd start should do EXACTLY the same thing as when the system
runs it on bootup.

>> The -x command to bash will print each line as it gets expanded
>> and executed.  So you might try something like:
>>   bash -x /etc/init.d/ntpd start
>> to see what is really going on.

>Another good idea to try.

It of course produces far more output but obviates the need to insert echo
lines into /etc/init.d/ntpd

Note, I am wondering what has happened to all these suggestions? Have
youtried any of them yet? Have you discovered what it is actually using as
its configuration file?

You might want to post the config file here ( ntp.conf) here in case it is
some error in that file which is causing your problems rather than that
ntpd is using some other config file.