[ntp:questions] NTP configuration

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Sep 12 07:29:19 UTC 2008

Nero Imhard wrote:
> To the OP: Do not get confused, but please, please, please understand
> that NTP has no business at all with local time!!!!

If I read the initial posting again it seems to me the OP wants to set the
computer's time zone to UTC (On my Windows 2000 system Casablanca is
labelled as "GMT" without switching to DST) but wants to have the Norway
local time displayed on that machine anyway, which means the UTC time on
that machine would be wrong by some hours.

We have had a couple of customers who wanted to run a similar setup.

One group of customers wanted to do so because they just didn't understand
that unlike old DOS most current operating system distinguish between UTC
and a local time.

The other group wanted to do so because they wanted to run some crappy piece
of software which didn't account for the difference between UTC and local
time, e.g. because the application writes a log file which shall display
timestamps in local time but the system call used to get the time stamps
for the log entries return the system's UTC time.

In the latter case the best advice is to kick the authors of the software
and have them fix their application.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki