[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Sat Sep 13 01:49:48 UTC 2008

In article <zuydnRiVNI_EKFfVnZ2dnUVZ_u-dnZ2d at megapath.net>,
 hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal Murray) wrote:

> >> No I suspect you ran /usr/sbin/ntpd, not /etc/init.d/ntpd
> >> /etc/init.d/ntpd start should do EXACTLY the same thing as when the system
> >> runs it on bootup.
> >
> >If I recall, the line that worked was "/etc/init.d/ntpd -c <filename of
> >our ntp.conf file>".  I don't recall that sbin was involved.
>
> Running the init script with arguments that you want passed to ntpd
> is not likely to work.  It checks it's first argument for things
> like start, stop, restart...

Right.  Bad memory.  Wrong directory path.  It was the path to the
executable that worked, not the script.

I did get a look at the ntpd script today.  Turns out the answer on
where it gets the ntp.conf file is right there, near the top, in the
line "ntpconf=/etc/ntp.conf", even though the ntp man page points us
deeper in the /etc hierarchy.

The sysadmin I was working with was real annoyed, as the misinformation
in the man page had sent him into circles.  We will add pointer comments
to all placebo ntp.conf files, to save future generations of sysadmins
from this fate.

How does one go about filing a bug report against the ntp man file in
RHEL?

Joe Gwinn