[ntp:questions] What happens if ntp server unavailable at start up?

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Sat Sep 13 17:21:41 UTC 2008

Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> writes:

>Unruh> Did the dynamic keyword ever work? The web docs say that it is not
>Unruh> yet implimented.

>Harlan> I'm pretty sure it works - what documentation says it doesn't?

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/confopt.html

dynamic
    Allows a server/peer to be configured even if it is not reachable at
configuration time. It is assumed that at some point in the future the
network environment changes so that this server/peer can be reached. This
option is useful to configure servers/peers on mobile systems with
intermittent network access (e.g. wlan clients). Note: the current
implemenation does not support this option.

See that last sentence?

>Unruh> Some document on ntp.org describing the options in the ntp.conf file.
>Unruh> I do not want to look for it again-- the docs are incredibly hard to
>Unruh> search-- one of the problems with making them into an infinite number
>Unruh> of web pages.

>Try http://doc.ntp.org .

>Unruh> So I guess dynamic went from not implimented to
>Unruh> deprecated with only a brief stop of in use in between.

>No, it went from implemented as an option to implemented by default.

According to the above it went from not implimented to implimented by
default.
And the OPTION was deprecated because it was implimented by default.
It is no longer an option.