[ntp:questions] What happens if ntp server unavailable at start up?

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Sat Sep 13 17:30:10 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:

>On 2008-09-13, Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> wrote:

>> Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

>>> Some document on ntp.org describing the options in the ntp.conf file.
>>> I do not want to look for it again-- the docs are incredibly hard to
>>> search-- one of the problems with making them into an infinite number
>>> of web pages.
>>
>> What I find useful is to use google with a "site:udel.edu" qualifier.
>>
>> It would help if the docs entire tree were under ntp.org though.

>The documentation at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ is the
>documentation for the current development snapshot of The NTP Reference
>Implementation (from www.ntp.org). This documentation may be correct
>for stable releases.

>An archive of documentation for stable releases of The NTP Reference
>Implementation is located at http://doc.ntp.org/. This archive provides
>search capabilities powered by ht://dig.

>The documentation contained in this archive is presented in its original
>form with the exception of the addition of a site-wide searching /
>navigation tool-bar and an HTML wrapper, which includes the tool bar,
>for plain-text files and directory listings.

>If you wish to use Google to search the on-line stable release
>documentation use "site:doc.ntp.org" in your search arguments.

Yes, I went there to search on the word dynamic. I got junk.
I finally tracked down by going from page to page from www.ntp.org
See other post.

Note that if you say the option is not implimented because it is the
default, then the doc should say that. "does not support this option"
 does not mean the same as "implimented by default", although I can imagine
arguments by a lawyer to say those statements are not mutually exclusive.