[ntp:questions] What happens if ntp server unavailable at start up?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Sep 15 08:59:29 UTC 2008

Bill,

Unruh wrote:
> Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:

As already mentioned earlier, the keywaord "dynamic" had been introduced
IIRC in 4.2.4. It lets ntpd retry if a server can not be reached initially.

However, since the behaviour with the "dynamic" keyword is what users would
normally expect ntpd to do I have proposed to make the "dynamic" behaviour
the default and obsolete the "dynamic" keyword. Frank Kardel who had
introduced the "dynamic" keyword agreed and implemented the proposed
changes in ntp-dev 4.2.5p38 on 2007-05-26, and he also removed the
description of the keyword from the HTML docs.

Unfortunately Dave Mills who maintains the HTML docs at udel.edu did not
pick up Frank's changes of the HTML docs. The file history for confopt.html
shows that the description of the "dynamic" keyword has been re-added when
confopt.html changes from Dave were pulled in again on 2007-07-23.

I did a backport of Frank's changes for ntp-stable and I also modified the
HTML docs and removed the description of the "dynamic" keyword. Those
changes were picked up in 4.2.4p5.

So if you use the stable version and have a look at the HTML docs which come
with that version this should be OK.

>>> What I find useful is to use google with a "site:udel.edu" qualifier.
>>>
>>> It would help if the docs entire tree were under ntp.org though.
>
>>The documentation at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ is the
>>documentation for the current development snapshot of The NTP Reference
>>Implementation (from www.ntp.org). This documentation may be correct
>>for stable releases.
>
>>An archive of documentation for stable releases of The NTP Reference
>>Implementation is located at http://doc.ntp.org/. This archive provides
>>search capabilities powered by ht://dig.
>
>>The documentation contained in this archive is presented in its original
>>form with the exception of the addition of a site-wide searching /
>>navigation tool-bar and an HTML wrapper, which includes the tool bar,
>>for plain-text files and directory listings.
>
>>If you wish to use Google to search the on-line stable release
>>documentation use "site:doc.ntp.org" in your search arguments.
>
> Yes, I went there to search on the word dynamic. I got junk.

Hm, I also tried this (searched for "dynamic site:doc.ntp.org") and got a
couple of hits for 4.2.4, where the "dynamic" keyword is described for
ntpdc and as "server option" in confopt.html.

Since this refers to 4.2.4 but not 4.2.4p5 where it has been obsoleted this
is absolutely correct, and I don't know why you would consider this as
junk.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki