[ntp:questions] Server offset included in served time?

Mike K Smith mks-usenet at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Sep 15 17:34:49 UTC 2008

On 12 Sep, 22:14, David Woolley <da... at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:
> Howard Barina wrote:
>
> > Does an NTP servers take into account it's estimated offset in serving time
>
> There seem to have been a lot of questions asked in the last month that
> are based on the false assumption that "offset" measures the difference
> between the local clock and true time.  Has someone published a
> misleading document, somewhere?
I think I am one of the people who has made this mistake.

> "offset" is the difference between the clients best estimate of the true
> time and a weighted average of the most recent "best" measurements from
> its upstream servers.  Those measurements have a significant measurement
> error.
So I can't plot the offsets in the loopstats file to show how accurate
the time was on an NTP client over a period of time?

How can I obtain a historic record of the difference between true time
and local clock time on an NTP client?

Thanks

Mike