[ntp:questions] What happens if ntp server unavailable at start up?

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Mon Sep 15 22:21:11 UTC 2008

Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> writes:

>Bill,

>Unruh wrote:
>> Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:

>As already mentioned earlier, the keywaord "dynamic" had been introduced
>IIRC in 4.2.4. It lets ntpd retry if a server can not be reached initially.

>However, since the behaviour with the "dynamic" keyword is what users would
>normally expect ntpd to do I have proposed to make the "dynamic" behaviour
>the default and obsolete the "dynamic" keyword. Frank Kardel who had
>introduced the "dynamic" keyword agreed and implemented the proposed
>changes in ntp-dev 4.2.5p38 on 2007-05-26, and he also removed the
>description of the keyword from the HTML docs.

>Unfortunately Dave Mills who maintains the HTML docs at udel.edu did not
>pick up Frank's changes of the HTML docs. The file history for confopt.html
>shows that the description of the "dynamic" keyword has been re-added when
>confopt.html changes from Dave were pulled in again on 2007-07-23.

>I did a backport of Frank's changes for ntp-stable and I also modified the
>HTML docs and removed the description of the "dynamic" keyword. Those
>changes were picked up in 4.2.4p5.

>So if you use the stable version and have a look at the HTML docs which come
>with that version this should be OK.

I looked at the docs on the official site.

>>>The documentation at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ is the
>>>documentation for the current development snapshot of The NTP Reference
>>>Implementation (from www.ntp.org). This documentation may be correct
>>>for stable releases.
>>
>>>An archive of documentation for stable releases of The NTP Reference
>>>Implementation is located at http://doc.ntp.org/. This archive provides
>>>search capabilities powered by ht://dig.
>>
>>>The documentation contained in this archive is presented in its original
>>>form with the exception of the addition of a site-wide searching /
>>>navigation tool-bar and an HTML wrapper, which includes the tool bar,
>>>for plain-text files and directory listings.
>>
>>>If you wish to use Google to search the on-line stable release
>>>documentation use "site:doc.ntp.org" in your search arguments.
>>
>> Yes, I went there to search on the word dynamic. I got junk.

>Hm, I also tried this (searched for "dynamic site:doc.ntp.org") and got a
>couple of hits for 4.2.4, where the "dynamic" keyword is described for
>ntpdc and as "server option" in confopt.html.

>Since this refers to 4.2.4 but not 4.2.4p5 where it has been obsoleted this
>is absolutely correct, and I don't know why you would consider this as
>junk.

The "junk" was irelevant hits ( about 20 of them to some refclock MX4200
receiver, one to ntpc, The only relevant hit was one with a "relevance
factor" or 1 star which was something like the 17th hit out of 23.

That is what I call "junk". It often happens when googling I agree.
Note I used the search on the doc.ntp.org main page, not a google search.