[ntp:questions] Odd (mis)behavior when reference clock fails

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Sep 19 12:21:19 UTC 2008

On 2008-09-19, David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> Firstly, the original of this thread root has been demimed out of
> existence by the mail to news gateway.  I thought the official line is
> that what went out to the mailing list was the same that which went to
> the newsgroup.

Thank-you so much for your sarcasm. It goes so far in helping to make
things work better.

All articles which are posted to the news-group are forwarded to the
mailing list after MIME stripping (see the further discussion below).

All messages which are posted to the mailing list, with a very small
number of exceptions, are injected to the news group.

> All that remains is:
>
> >  [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type multipart/signed]

This occured because the OP insists on digitally signing his mailing list
posts.

In the past we have received numerous loud complaints which voiced
strong objections to certain types of content crossing the gateway from
mail to news. Vociferous complaints have been made about virtually every
form of content which is not plain text.

We have also received numerous complaints about undesireable content
(e.g. MI5 complaints) propagating from news to mail.

We have made an effort to ensure that _only_ the content and formatting
which has been deemed acceptable by the participants in this news group
is allowed to propagate from mail to news.

Unfortunately in the _very_ few cases that something not been processed
correctly we receive more complaints.

So far no one, not even _you_, has come forward with any vaguely
constructive suggestions. Nor has anyone displayed an interest in doing
anything more than mashing their reply button.

> Please reply in plain text,

I have directly contact the OP each time that he sends a signed message
and asked that he resend the message without the signature. To this date
he has failed to do so.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>