[ntp:questions] NTP on LAN

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Fri Sep 19 15:22:19 UTC 2008

05IT042 <raghuramos1987 at gmail.com> writes:

>On Sep 18, 10:24=A0pm, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
>> On 2008-09-18, 05IT042 <raghuramos1... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I have 2 computers connected on the same lan. I want one of them to be
>> > set up as a NTP server and the other to be setup as a NTP client. This
>> > is my initial goal. I tried giving the ip address of the server in the
>> > client's /etc/ntp.conf file
>>
>> The ntp.conf on the "client" should, at a minimum, consist of:
>>
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 driftfile /path/to/ntp.drift
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 server <address/hostname of your ntp server>
>>
>> Replace "/path/to/ntp.drift" with a full path + filename to a
>> location which is writable ny the ntp user. A typical location is
>> "/var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift".
>>
>> > and i gave localhost(127.0.0.1) in the servers /etc/ntp.conf file.
>>
>> This will not do what you think it will do.
>>
>> If you have no real time sources (i.e. remote time servers or locally
>> attached ref-clocks) available you may use the Undisciplined Local
>> Clock (or LocalCLK or LOCAL) or Orphan Mode.
>>
>> The LocalCLK and Orphan Mode merely allow ntpd to claim to synchronized
>> to _something_ and serve time to others. They do not make the time
>> correct. Nor do they control any drift or make your clock tick at the
>> correct rate.
>>
>> If at all possible you should provide a sufficient number of real time
>> sources to ntpd.
>>
>> If your application is not critical you may wish to use the NTP Pool
>> (seehttp://support.ntp.org/poolandhttp://www.pool.ntp.org/). The
>> mininal configuration for a server using the pool is:
>>
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 driftfile /path/to/ntp.drift
>> I =A0 =A0 =A0 server 0.pool.ntp.org iburst
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 server 1.pool.ntp.org iburst
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 server 2.pool.ntp.org iburst
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 server pool.ntp.org
>>
>> To use the just Undisciplined Local Clock the minimal configuration is:
>>
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 driftfile /path/to/ntp.drift
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 server 127.127.1.0
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
>>
>> To use just Orphan Mode the minimal configuration is:
>>
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 driftfile /path/to/ntp.drift
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 tos orphan 10
>>
>> You may add the 127.127.1.x lines or the orphan line to an ntp.conf
>> in addition to remote time servers. Orphan Mode is preferred if your
>> version of NTP supports it.
>>
>> > After this how do i go about checking if
>> > they're even getting synchronized or anything at all?
>> > Also some links for learning more would also be appreciated.
>>
>> The NTP home-page ishttp://www.ntp.org/
>>
>> The NTP Public Services Project home-page ishttp://support.ntp.org/
>>
>> Documentation indices are available athttp://www.ntp.org/documentation.ht=
>mlandhttp://support.ntp.org/doc
>>
>> Documentation for the NTP Development release series is located athttp://=
>www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/
>>
>> Documentation for NTP Stable releases is included in the ./html/
>> directory in the Distribution and is archived athttp://doc.ntp.org/

> [...]

Is that lan a completely private lan with no connection to the outside
world? If it has a connection to the outside, use ntp properly and have
your server at least use some outside thing to configure to. If it really a
totally issolated lan, then make the server orphaned, and the client just
acts like a client, using the server as it time source.