[ntp:questions] NTP on LAN

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Sep 19 15:31:21 UTC 2008

On 2008-09-19, 05IT042 <raghuramos1987 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 10:24 pm, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
>
>> What version of NTP are you using?
>
> Okay, i wanted 2 computers on a lan. One as the ntp server and the
> other as the client.

Does this network have external connectivity? Do you really need to
operate a "time island"?

> I want the client to synchronize to the server.

If you don't provide the ntpd with a stable time source, or spend some
time tuning the system which will be your "server", the best you can
hope for is that the "client" will be chasing a moving "server".

> If i understand right, i have to use orphan mode on my server and what
> on my client?

Choose one system to be your "server" and configure it to use either
the Undisciplined Local Clock (127.127.0.x) or Orphan Mode (as shown in
the examples in my previous article).

	# server at 192.189.19.1
	driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
	server 127.127.1.0 minpoll 4
	fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

or

	# server at 192.189.19.1
	driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
	tos orphan 10

Configure the other system to poll your "server" (as shown in the
examples in my previous article).

	# client at 192.168.19.2
	driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
	server 192.168.19.1 iburst