[ntp:questions] NTP on LAN

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Sep 22 01:41:54 UTC 2008

On 2008-09-21, 05IT042 <raghuramos1987 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 19, 8:31 pm, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
>
> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 36 lines snipped |=---]
>
>> Configure the other system to poll your "server" (as shown in the
>> examples in my previous article).
>>
>> # client at 192.168.19.2
>> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
>> server 192.168.19.1 iburst
>
> Did exactly as above. I'm using 4.2.4p5. Now how do i verify that the
> client is getting synchronized with the server?

'ntpq -p' on the client will show you that ntpd's peer billboard.
Increasing numbers in the reach column indicate that this ntd is
succesfully polling the server(s). A "*" in the left column marks the
server that has been chosen as the "sys_peer".

'ntpq -crv' on the client will show you that ntpd's variables.

> And yeah I am on a lan which connects to the internet. But, i'm trying
> this for a different purpose altogther

What are you trying to demonstrate?

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>