[ntp:questions] Problems syncing to a reference clock

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue Sep 23 18:08:53 UTC 2008

>>> In article <C584C892-6D07-4EF8-A6E1-E7EB8961B85D at madhaus.cns.utoronto.ca>, russ at madhaus.cns.utoronto.ca (Sutherland Russell) writes:

Sutherland> I have an older PC running BSDI 3.01 which has an internal ISA
Sutherland> based GPS TrueTime clock:

Sutherland> # uname -a BSD/OS tickhaus.utoronto.ca 3.1 BSDI BSD/OS 3.1
Sutherland> Kernel #2: Sun Aug 8 19:31:21 CDT 1999 etc.  # dmesg | grep -i
Sutherland> true gpspc0 at isa0 iobase 0x320: TrueTime Model 560-5500 GPS-PC
Sutherland> Card

Sutherland> I am running xntpd version 3-5 and there seems to be a problem
Sutherland> syncing to the reference clock. The daemon can sync to other
Sutherland> time servers.

Russ,

I see there is a TT560 reflock in the current codebase at 127.127.41.x .

I also see the TT560 is listed as an IRIG-B refclock card.

Did your setup work before and recently stop working?

3.5 is kinda old - http://support.ntp.org/Dev/ReleaseTimeline .

If you have the source code then debugging this shouldn't be too painful.
Even so, I'd be inclined to see if a more recent release worked better for
you.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!