[ntp:questions] Proper Operation of ntpq -np and ntpdc -c peers

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Sep 25 02:41:01 UTC 2008

On 2008-09-23, Kelly, Steven J CPT RET <steven.j.kelly5 at us.army.mil> wrote:

> I have a Red Hat 4.0 Linux workstation that is running an NTP ver 4 client
> connecting to a ver 3 NTP server running on a Zyfer GPS receiver.  When I
> run ntpq -np as root I get the following response: No Association IDs found.
>
> Also when I run ntpdc -c peers as root I get the following response: server
> reports data not found.

Is the RedHat system actually configured to poll the Zypher?

Are there any restrict lines in the ntp.conf on the RedHat system? Have
you recently upgraded NTP? Did it work before the upgrade?

What are the actual versions of NTP? (e.g. 4.1.0, 4.2.4) You can view
them with ntpq -crv.

It would be helpful to see the output of ntpq -pcrv from both the Red
Hat machine and the Zypher. Please compress the lines a bit so that they
are ~70 chars long.

It would also be helpful to see the configuration for both systems.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>