[ntp:questions] broadcast client

achertova at gmail.com achertova at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 03:47:30 UTC 2008

> No it does a good job of correcting and measuring small phase errors. It is
> the drift errors it has trouble with with such a small poll interval (bad
> design, since it certainly has the information needed to get long term
> drifts correct as well)  Ie, If
> you expect the clock to be without a source for a length of time, then
> having long poll intervals is good. If you do not want to pollute the net
> with all your ntp packets, longer poll intervals are good. If you expect to
> be constantly connected and do not give a damn about pollution because it
> is your own system you are using as a source, then short intervals are
> good. Why in the world does the OP care about the 16 clients polling every
> 16 sec? That is 16 bytes per second. That is trivial. If you have 16000000
> clients polling, as some of the main time sources sometimes do then it
> becomes a concern.

In the lab we have no real concern for network pollution.  We just
want good accuracy
for our network experiments.

> Broadcast mode is far less accurate than polling-- no roundtrip
> calculation, etc.
> If your offset is greater than 100usec and they are on a local lan, you hae
> network problems. It is not a problem with ntp. Fix your network

Is there a way to force ntp to listen to only one interface?  The
machine which
has synch issues has 10 network interfaces and according to the log,
ntp
attempts to listen on all of them.  I am wondering if somehow that
causes
issues.