[ntp:questions] broadcast client

rochertov at gmail.com rochertov at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 18:14:43 UTC 2008

> What this has to do with not believing in the algorithm I have no idea. If
> ntp runs from a refclock that is EXACTLY the default behaviour. Running on
> a local private network where you are referencing your own server, that
> behaviour is also fine. The reason for the backup to long poll intervals is
> a) to save the public servers from flooding, and b)to discipline the local
> clock's drift rate in case there are long periods of disconnection from the
> net. If you have constant connection and it is your own server, neither of
> those apply, and short polling is better.

Thanks, that is the answer I was looking for.  In our case, ntp load
on the ntp server and the network is irrelevant.  We are just seeking
the best synchronization possible, short of getting a PPS signal to
every machine.  I will change the machine not to use broadcast mode
and rely on min polling with maxpoll set to minpoll as well.  I will
also enable iburst, as the docs indicate that it might increase
performance by loading up the network a bit more.

Roman