[ntp:questions] ntp stratum

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Sat Sep 27 10:39:13 UTC 2008

stephaneguedon wrote:

> I would like to know how I can tell the server he is in stratum 3.

You can't.  Why would you want to?

Your server's stratum will never be less than one greater than the
numerically lowest stratum amongst its severs, so by choosing servers
that never have a stratum numerically less than two, yours will never
have stratum numerically less than 3.

You can also provide it with a direct connection to a reference clock,
and force the stratum of that reference clock to be two.  However, if
the clock is good, it is not sensible to give it an artificially bad
stratum.

> This is my /etc/ntp.conf :

[With no reference clocks.]