[ntp:questions] ntp stratum

stephaneguedon stephaneguedon at ifrance.com
Sat Sep 27 11:26:37 UTC 2008

Le Sat, 27 Sep 2008 12:39:13 +0200, David Woolley
<david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> a écrit:

> stephaneguedon wrote:
>>  I would like to know how I can tell the server he is in stratum 3.
>
> You can't.  Why would you want to?
>
> Your server's stratum will never be less than one greater than the
> numerically lowest stratum amongst its severs, so by choosing servers
> that never have a stratum numerically less than two, yours will never
> have stratum numerically less than 3.
>
> You can also provide it with a direct connection to a reference clock,
> and force the stratum of that reference clock to be two.  However, if
> the clock is good, it is not sensible to give it an artificially bad
> stratum.
>
>>  This is my /etc/ntp.conf :
>
> [With no reference clocks.]

The stratum is really 3 !

but when I run ntpdate from my computer (not the server himself), I get
strange answer... Like :

server 192.168.0.2, stratum 16, offset -0.542495, delay 0.02582
27 Sep 13:24:57 ntpdate[14545]: step time server 192.168.0.2 offset
-0.542495 sec

--
Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
http://www.opera.com/mail/