[ntp:questions] NTP on LAN

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Sun Sep 28 09:21:05 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:

> Nonsense.
>
> A single ntpd can be configured in Orphan Mode to serve as the "server"
> for a time island.

I hadn't considered the degenerate case.  However, if one looks at the
key selling points for orphan mode, in the documentaion, one finds that
they all depend on having multiple orphans at the same stratum:

>    There  are  many  disadvantages using the local clock driver: multiple
>    source  redundancy  is  not  possible  and the subnet is vulnerable to
>    single-point failures. Orphan mode is intended to replace the need for

If it really has benefits in contexts where there is only one orphan
mode server, the documentation needs amending to mention them.

Note two orphans at the same stratum aren't possible here, as the
requirement included a strict precedence and two at different strata is
another degenerate case.