[ntp:questions] can i use w32time to syncronise in a non domain scenario - windows2003

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 09:35:20 UTC 2009

On Apr 1, 6:31 am, David Woolley
<da... at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> Dave Hart wrote:
>
> > I suspect you will not be able to use w32time on servers which are
> > members of a domain, as w32time will ignore a configured source in
> > that situation and use the domain time heirarchy.  There is only one
>
> The Technet article seems to say that any configuration can be set on
> any machine, even though the defaults differ.

I don't disagree, you can set any configuration you want.  I know from
experience that domain members ignore w32time time source
configuration, with the exception of the PDC emulator at the root of
the domain/forest time hierarchy.  Every other domain member w32time
syncs to the domain time hierarchy.

I recommend using net time /setsntp to configure your selected
external time source(s) on all domain controllers, so things will just
keep ticking smoothly if you move the PDC emulator FSMO role down the
road.

Cheers,
Dave Hart