[ntp:questions] ntpq-equivalent for Microsoft's Windows Time Service ?

Bart Van Assche bart.vanassche at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 10:26:08 UTC 2009

On 1 apr, 09:39, Bart Van Assche <bart.vanass... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to monitor the operation of the NTP-algorithm as
> implemented in Microsoft's Windows Time Service (I know that older
> w32time implementations only support SNTP, and that newer
> implementations support both SNTP and NTP). I already found out that
> it is possible to query the configuration settings of the Windows Time
> Service through the w32tm /dumpreg command (equivalent of cat /etc/
> ntp.conf), and that it is possible to compare the local clock with a
> remote clock through the w32tm /monitor command (equivalent of ntpdate
> -q). I would like to be able to query the internal variables of the
> Windows Time Service, just like the command ntpq -p does. Does anyone
> know whether this is possible with the Windows Time Service provided
> by Microsoft ?
>
> The official Microsoft documentation of the Windows Time Service can
> be found here:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773061.aspx.

Update: via Cygwin's string command (string -2 -a -el) I found out
that the w32tm command has the following undocumented switches: /
service, /sysexpr, /testif and /testservice. Does anyone know the
meaning of these switches ?

And through depends.exe I learned that w32tm.exe loads w32time.dll. A
list of the functions exported by this DLL can be found here:
http://labo.kandcnet.com/winarekore/DllExportList/ExportList/w32time.dll.htm.
The exported functions TimeProvOpen(), TimeProvCommand() and
TimeProvClose() probably implement a time provider as documented on
MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms725475(VS.85).aspx).
Does anyone know the purpose and the parameters of the other function
exported by w32time.dll: fnW32TmRegisterServiceCtrlHandlerEx,
fnW32TmSetServiceStatus, W32TimeBufferFree, W32TimeDcPromo,
W32TimeGetNetlogonServiceBits
W32TimeQueryConfig, W32TimeQueryHardwareProviderStatus,
W32TimeQueryNTPProviderStatus
W32TimeSetConfig, W32TimeSyncNow, W32TimeVerifyJoinConfig,
W32TimeVerifyUnjoinConfig and W32TmServiceMain
 ?

Bart.