[ntp:questions] ntpd service doesn't connect to remote servers on Windows XP

Heiko Gerstung heiko.removethistext.gerstung at meinberg.de
Wed Apr 1 14:39:23 UTC 2009

David J Taylor schrieb:
> Heiko Gerstung wrote:
> []
>> It could be helpful to see the output of "ntpq -p" and "ntpq -c rv
>> <id>" where <id> is the association ID of one of the remote servers.
>> This id can be found out using "ntpq -c as" .. and yes, the event log
>> would be helpful as well.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>   Heiko
>
> Heiko, many thanks.  I'll get the user to check out your suggestions.
> The event log shows ntpd.exe listening on the loopback and 192.168.1.10
> addresses, and no error messages.
>
> Is there a fundamental difference between nptq.exe sending and receiving
> packets, and ntpd.exe working in its normal manner?

No, not really. If ntpq works you can be sure that
- network communication works, i.e. you have a valid and working network
route
- the server is actually up and running and ntpd is running
- UDP port 123 is not blocked by a firewall

Using ntpdate will completely "simulate" a normal ntpd query and since
it uses the same or similiar sanity checks and selection algorithms, you
  should be able to reproduce a problem with it.

I assume that the user did not mess around with the config file that has
been created by the installer. That should rule out problems caused by
"restrict".

Regards,
   Heiko