[ntp:questions] ntpq-equivalent for Microsoft's Windows Time Service ?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Wed Apr 1 22:53:17 UTC 2009

Bart Van Assche wrote:

> I would like to monitor the operation of the NTP-algorithm as
> implemented in Microsoft's Windows Time Service (I know that older
> w32time implementations only support SNTP, and that newer
> implementations support both SNTP and NTP). I already found out that

It looks like, in a non-default configuration it supports some of the
normative parts of RFC1305.

> it is possible to query the configuration settings of the Windows Time
> Service through the w32tm /dumpreg command (equivalent of cat /etc/
> ntp.conf), and that it is possible to compare the local clock with a
> remote clock through the w32tm /monitor command (equivalent of ntpdate
> -q). I would like to be able to query the internal variables of the

I don't think it is clear that it uses the same time discipline logic as
NTP.  Technically that is in a non-normative appendix, but it is treated
as normative, in this community, and I think it is normative for NTPV4
(Microsoft implement the de facto obsolete version, although the most
recent one with an RFC).

> Windows Time Service, just like the command ntpq -p does. Does anyone
> know whether this is possible with the Windows Time Service provided
> by Microsoft ?
>
> The official Microsoft documentation of the Windows Time Service can
> be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773061.aspx.

My source is ...cc773263....  Your reference may explain some of the
terms used in that document, that otherwise are meaningless without the
source code.