[ntp:questions] can i use w32time to syncronise in a non domain scenario - windows2003

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 03:31:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Dave Hart <davehart at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suspect both policy approaches end up overwriting any locally
> configured registry settings each time the policy is applied, so to
> figure out the active configuration all you (or w32time) need do is
> look at the registry.  When changing w32time parameters, you can force
> policy reapplication to see if your parameters are overwritten:
> gpupdate /force

Actually, group policies do not, in general modify application
registry keys for applications directly. Those that do are pretty
non-standard, often third-party policy templates. Policy settings are
usually "soft policies" and actually stored in places in the registry
like:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies

Policy-aware applications voluntarily read data from here, overriding
any values set in the actual application-specific or user registry
keys for the application.

This scheme allows for easy return to the settings a user had
preveiously selected for an application if a group policy was removed
or a setting changed to "not configured/inherit".

--
RPM