[ntp:questions] (no subject)

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 21:14:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Varrun Ashok <varrunashok at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,   Why does ntp (ntp-4.2.4p4 in specific) require an operating system?
> I use embedded Linux (kernel-2.6.23-rc3+Busybox+grub) to run ntpd and ntpq.I would
> like to run NTP (ntpd and ntpq) in a product developent kit of LPC 2378 microcontroller
> that does not have support for uClinux,Linux or WINCE.Is it possible?Can I use a part
> of the source code inside the ntp4.2.4p4.tar.gz package and compile it and run it
> without any OS.Please give me your suggestions,links and other materials that
> answer the above questions.

ntpd relies on the host OS for a great many functions, including:
   IP networking services
   Hardware device drivers
   Process management
   Interrupt handling
   File-system management (for configuration files and logs)
   System clock and timer services

If you your microcontroller development kit can supply all of those
services using similar APIs as the ntp code requires, then you can
probably hack ntp into working on that microcontroller. But if not,
then you will have to add all of that functionality into ntpd's code
base yourself.

--
RPM