[ntp:questions] NPTdate - difference in packets between -q and not?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Sat Apr 4 15:04:03 UTC 2009

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
[]
> Routers sold into the consumer market generally have configuration
> options to allow or block ports and some can be configured to block
> specific IP addresses or address families.  By default they allow

Thanks, Richard.  I've not met domestic routers which require specific
configuration for NTP packets, but perhaps I've just been lucky.  Would
what you describe explain why ntpdate -q <remote> works, but nptdate
<remote> responds with "no server suitable for synchronization found"?

[By works, I mean he gets a response like:

server 81.171.44.131, stratum 2, offset 12.016615, delay 0.05682
 4 Apr 08:49:58 ntpdate[3936]: step time server 81.171.44.131 offset
12.016615 sec]

Thanks,
David