[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Apr 6 07:21:02 UTC 2009

sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com wrote:

> [Dawood] I assume the systems with SAME stratum "orphan stratum 6"
> identically
> configured both as broadcast client and broadcast server ("Time
> Island") will
> work fine  WITHOUT a shim IF there are more than TWO sources??

No.  You still require that at least two of the sources to be mutually
compatible and for a majority to exist.

Seems to me that if orphan mode is using narrow error bands, it is not
going to work in many  or most cases where people would want to use it!

It needs to work when there never was a real time source (probably the
main reason people will actually use it), and all the machines are
started together with their clocks randomly spread over at least 10
seconds. Otherewise, it is not going to meet typical, naive, user
expectations.