[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Apr 7 02:05:28 UTC 2009

On 2009-04-06, sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com <sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip: a 27 line block of text]

> Yes, that's what I'm experimenting now.

What are you experimenting with?

> I beleive the Orphan Broadcast Mesh will work when none of the
> systems configured with external time servers at all.

Why don't you test it? I have.

> I saw it working time-sync'ed after adding shim value "tos mindist
> 0.010" for correctness interval.

I've conducted extensive testing with Orphan Mode and never had to add
a tos mindist command.

> I beleive the "time island" concept will work fine

The nodes will all be chasing whichever clock is chosen as the master.

> and time-sync will happen regardless of ANY time set in ALL the nodes
> running NTP service.

Why would you be changing the clock on systems which are running ntpd?

> Is there any restrictions in time difference on a time island (30
> minutes or less)??

Restrictions in the time island between what things?

> Here is the "ntp.conf" file on ALL the systems (7 nos):
> driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntpd.drift"
> keys "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntpd.keys"
> trustedkey 1
>
> # Any clock offset will be accepted
> tinker panic 0
>
> #shim added to the correctness interval
> tos mindist 0.010
>
> # We participate as orphans to auto-find a Time Server
> tos orphan 6
>
> # Default restrict all
> restrict default ignore
>
> # Allow local host for utilities like ntpq
> restrict 127.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0
>
> # Allow communication over primary
> restrict <primary IP> mask 255.240.0.0 nomodify notrap
>
> # Allow communication over secondary
> restrict <secondary IP> mask 255.240.0.0 nomodify notrap
>
> broadcastclient
> broadcast xx.yy.255.255 key 1
> broadcast xx.zz.255.255 key 1

What is the purpose of broadcasting on two different addresses?

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>