[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Apr 7 06:56:38 UTC 2009

Steve Kostecke wrote:

> Most users, though, consider their clocks to be "synced" when they see
> the asterisk indicating that ntpd has selected a sys_peer.

That's because they are making the, unsafe, assumption that ntpd is
using a reasonable definition of synched.

Note that my definition of synched was flexible.  If the user only wants
5 second accuracy, and they allow ntpd to step, the point where it steps
will meet their definition of synched.  If they want 5ms accuracy, it
almost never will.