[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 04:08:22 UTC 2009

On Apr 6, 7:05 pm, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2009-04-06, sheikdawoodraj... at gmail.com <sheikdawoodraj... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip: a 27 line block of text]
>
> > Yes, that's what I'm experimenting now.
>
> What are you experimenting with?
>
> > I beleive the Orphan Broadcast Mesh will work when none of the
> > systems configured with external time servers at all.
>
> Why don't you test it? I have.
>
> > I saw it working time-sync'ed after adding shim value "tos mindist
> > 0.010" for correctness interval.
>
> I've conducted extensive testing with Orphan Mode and never had to add
> a tos mindist command.
>
> > I beleive the "time island" concept will work fine
>
> The nodes will all be chasing whichever clock is chosen as the master.
>
> > and time-sync will happen regardless of ANY time set in ALL the nodes
> > running NTP service.
>
> Why would you be changing the clock on systems which are running ntpd?
>
> > Is there any restrictions in time difference on a time island (30
> > minutes or less)??
>
> Restrictions in the time island between what things?
>

> > Here is the "ntp.conf" file on ALL the systems (7 nos):
> > driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntpd.drift"
> > keys "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntpd.keys"
> > trustedkey 1
>
> > # Any clock offset will be accepted
> > tinker panic 0
>
> > #shim added to the correctness interval
> > tos mindist 0.010
>
> > # We participate as orphans to auto-find a Time Server
> > tos orphan 6
>
> > # Default restrict all
> > restrict default ignore
>
> > # Allow local host for utilities like ntpq
> > restrict 127.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0
>
> > # Allow communication over primary
> > restrict <primary IP> mask 255.240.0.0 nomodify notrap
>
> > # Allow communication over secondary
> > restrict <secondary IP> mask 255.240.0.0 nomodify notrap
>
> > broadcastclient
> > broadcast xx.yy.255.255 key 1
> > broadcast xx.zz.255.255 key 1
>
> What is the purpose of broadcasting on two different addresses?
>
> --
> Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org>
> NTP Public Services Project -http://support.ntp.org/- Hide quoted text -

[Steve] Why would you be changing the clock on systems which are
running ntpd?
Our test plan is to verify if the time-sync happens fine after
reducing (approx 30 minutes)
on a system in a "orphan" group.

In my todays testing, I noticed that
1) After reduce the system time on a machine which is already a part
of orphan n/w,
it goes OUT of the network. Is this a normal behaviour?

Would you please share your config file of "orphan mode using
broadcast" ?