[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 04:36:37 UTC 2009

On Apr 6, 4:44 pm, mi... at udel.edu (David Mills) wrote:
> Steve,
>
> You scratch a sore spot as I verified over the last couple of days. You
> can always increase the mindist, but eventually the orphan servers will
> drift away from each other. The problem is the orphan server has to be
> selected before the intersection algorithm. I changed that in the
> development version and am testing it now. The result is that only the
> lowest-distance orphan server makes it to the intersection algoritihm
> and only it will be selected.
>
> Dave
>

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
> >On 2009-04-06, David Woolley <da... at djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >>Seems to me that if orphan mode is using narrow error bands, it is not
> >>going to work in many  or most cases where people would want to use it!
>
> >>It needs to work when there never was a real time source (probably the
> >>main reason people will actually use it), and all the machines are
> >>started together with their clocks randomly spread over at least 10
> >>seconds. Otherewise, it is not going to meet typical, naive, user
> >>expectations.
>
> >Orphan Mode is intended to select _one_ leader from the group of Orphans
> >when all other time sources are unreachable. It does so based on a
> >randomly generated value.- Hide quoted text -

Dave,
Sorry, I'm bit confused now...

Please let me know if NTP v4.2.4.p5 supports orphan mode working in
broadcast type?
Is any unit test plan available that covers ALL the possible test
scenarios?

As far as I understand, "orphan" mode is enabled when NO external time
services are present.
when there is time difference in group of the orphan nodes, will "ntp
running in orphan mode" time-sync automatically?

Thanks,
Dawood