[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 04:29:31 UTC 2009

On Apr 6, 6:35 pm, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2009-04-07, sheikdawoodraj... at gmail.com <sheikdawoodraj... at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 6, 12:32 pm, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
>
> >> OrphanMode is intended to select _one_ leader from the group of
> >> Orphans when all other time sources are unreachable. It does so based
> >> on a randomly generated value.
>
> > I read that NTP uses "rootdelay" and "rootdispersion" variables to
> > select leader among themselves in SAME stratum.
>
> > "randomly generated value" - Is it stored in a ntp variable that we
> > can see ?
>
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/assoc.html#orphan
>
> While ordinary NTP clients use a selection metric based on delay and
> dispersion, orphan children use a metric computed from the IP address of
> each core server. Each orphan child chooses the orphan parent as the
> root server with the smallest metric.
>
> --
> Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org>
> NTP Public Services Project -http://support.ntp.org/

Steve,
My configuration is to have "orphan" mode in "broadcast" type.

Orphan mode association says,
For broadcast networks each core server is configured in both
broadcast server and broadcast client modes as shown above. Orphan
children operate as broadcast clients of all core servers.

My plan is to have a time island configured as an orphan mesh,
with NO core server exists.

This was the plan behind a cross-configured,
fully functional broadcast environment using orphan mode (a mesh).

During testing When all the nodes have the same config, using orphan
stratum 6, using the primary network broadcast.  They fail to sync.
When I changed one node's orphan stratum to be 5, all the nodes synced
with that low stratum node.

Is it MANDATORY to have core-server in orphan mesh??

Is it POSSIBLE to install ntp service on a group of nodes (having
different system time on all of them)
on a time island (NO external servers in config file) with SAME
stratum "tos orphan 6" using broadcast
and EXPECT ALL the nodes to get TIME-SYNC ??