[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 04:54:03 UTC 2009

On Apr 6, 7:05 pm, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2009-04-06, sheikdawoodraj... at gmail.com <sheikdawoodraj... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip: a 27 line block of text]
>
> > Yes, that's what I'm experimenting now.
>
> What are you experimenting with?
>
> > I beleive the Orphan Broadcast Mesh will work when none of the
> > systems configured with external time servers at all.
>
> Why don't you test it? I have.
>
> > I saw it working time-sync'ed after adding shim value "tos mindist
> > 0.010" for correctness interval.
>
> I've conducted extensive testing with Orphan Mode and never had to add
> a tos mindist command.
>
> > I beleive the "time island" concept will work fine
>
> The nodes will all be chasing whichever clock is chosen as the master.
>
> > and time-sync will happen regardless of ANY time set in ALL the nodes
> > running NTP service.
>
> Why would you be changing the clock on systems which are running ntpd?
>
> > Is there any restrictions in time difference on a time island (30
> > minutes or less)??
>
> Restrictions in the time island between what things?
>

> > Here is the "ntp.conf" file on ALL the systems (7 nos):
> > driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntpd.drift"
> > keys "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntpd.keys"
> > trustedkey 1
>
> > # Any clock offset will be accepted
> > tinker panic 0
>
> > #shim added to the correctness interval
> > tos mindist 0.010
>
> > # We participate as orphans to auto-find a Time Server
> > tos orphan 6
>
> > # Default restrict all
> > restrict default ignore
>
> > # Allow local host for utilities like ntpq
> > restrict 127.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0
>
> > # Allow communication over primary
> > restrict <primary IP> mask 255.240.0.0 nomodify notrap
>
> > # Allow communication over secondary
> > restrict <secondary IP> mask 255.240.0.0 nomodify notrap
>
> > broadcastclient
> > broadcast xx.yy.255.255 key 1
> > broadcast xx.zz.255.255 key 1
>
> What is the purpose of broadcasting on two different addresses?
>
> --
> Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org>
> NTP Public Services Project -http://support.ntp.org/- Hide quoted text -

Regarding "broadcast/broadcastclient",
The code binds to all the local interfaces.  When I have
"broadcastclient" specified, it also attempts to bind to the broadcast
address for each local address, these are always failing and logging
those bind() error logs.  The code then uses the normal address to
setup the broadcast and then traces it successfully setup the
broadcast.  So it can't bind to the broadcast address.  Is that
normal?  Something to do with our addresses? Please clarify