[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 04:44:09 UTC 2009

On Apr 7, 5:18 am, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2009-04-07, David Woolley <da... at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
> >> While ordinary NTP clients use a selection metric based on delay and
> >> dispersion, orphan children use a metric computed from the IP address of
> >> each core server. Each orphan child chooses the orphan parent as the
> >> root server with the smallest metric.
>
> >  From what Dr Mills has just written, that's yet another thing about
> > orphan mode that only works in the very latest development version.
>
> Orphan Mode is also present in the current Stable release and is
> documented athttp://doc.ntp.org/4.2.4/manyopt.html#orphan
>
> Orphan parents show offset zero, root delay zero and reference ID
> 127.0.0.1, which of course is the Unix loopback address. Orphan children
> show the mitigated offset of their servers, root delay randomized over
> a moderate range and reference ID of their system peer. An important
> distinction is that the entire subnet operates at the same orphan
> stratum and that the order of preference is the root delay, not the
> stratum and root distance as usual."
>
> --
> Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org>
> NTP Public Services Project -http://support.ntp.org/

> Orphan parents show offset zero, root delay zero and reference ID
> 127.0.0.1, which of course is the Unix loopback address. Orphan children
> show the mitigated offset of their servers, root delay randomized over
> a moderate range and reference ID of their system peer.

Qstn:
1) None of my nodes in the network is connected to internet/external
server.
After installing NTP and configure it in orphan mode using SAME
stratum "tos orphan 6"
and broadcasting on 2 interfaces primary/secondary network, ALL of my
nodes become
Orphan parent (shows offset zero, root delay zero and reference ID
127.0.0.1).

After that, I modified the broadcast to a single (primary) interface
only and it worked fine.
So, does broadcasting to multiple interfaces a problem/limitation in
NTP ??

please clarify.