[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Wed Apr 8 05:31:45 UTC 2009

sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com wrote:
[]
> Steve,
> what do you exactly mean "ultra high quality time"?
>
> My ntp service is started running the command below:
> "C:\ntp\bin\ntpd.exe" -U 3 -M -g -c "C:\ntp\etc\ntp.conf"
>
> Are you talking about the -M (Windows only - set high quality
> multimedia timer) option here?

It's one of these "how long is a piece of string" questions!  What
accuracy do you require?  Within a second, tens of milliseconds, hundreds
of microseconds?

With Windows XP SP2 or later, the -M option may be required to prevent
severe variations in the offset value, for example:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/ntp-events.htm#glitch

By the way, I use MRTG to plot the offsets:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTPandMRTG.html

and the Meinberg NTP Time Server Monitor and a program I wrote can read
the loopstats files to show how well NTP is working:

  http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/time-server-monitor.htm

  http://www.satsignal.eu/software/net.htm#NTPplotter

and I have a simple multi-PC monitor here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/software/net.htm#NTPmonitor

Cheers,
David