[ntp:questions] Best Ntp Practice

Russell, David David.Russell at dowjones.com
Mon Apr 13 12:23:54 UTC 2009

I would not recommend using Cisco devices as NTP servers if the time is important to you.  There are bugs in the code that result in the offsets not getting any better than a few ms.  Using the prefer command works around one of the problems but it still wanders around a lot.

I point all my network equipment to our own dedicated NTP servers which can handle thousands of requests/sec which is a lot more that would ever be generated.

Cisco has a new implementation in the 12.4T train that is a big improvement.  This implementation finally lets you set the min and max polling rates which is making a big difference.  I can get sub-ms offsets. There is still an issue where the accuracy is better with a single server than with two:

r01(config)#ntp server 10.1.1.1 ?
  burst    Send a burst when peer is reachable
  iburst   Send a burst when peer is unreachable
  key      Configure peer authentication key
  maxpoll  Maximum poll interval
  minpoll  Minimum poll interval
  prefer   Prefer this peer when possible
  source   Interface for source address