[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Apr 13 16:38:18 UTC 2009

sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com wrote:

> Package Version:
> NTP v4.2.4.p5

I'm not sure that is new enough to stay locked.  Unless you use a very
recent version, which may have to be a development version, orphan mode
will fall apart a day or two after the system is started.

> 4) tweak the time on ALL the nodes.
> i.e
> 1st machine with <systemtime>
> 2nd machine with <systemtime + 10 minutes>
> 3rd machine with <systemtime + 20 minutes>
> 4th machine with <systemtime + 30 minutes>
> 5th machine with <systemtime + 15 minutes>
> 6th machine with <systemtime + 5 minutes>

 From what Dave Mills has said, this will not synchronise because the
error bands or all sources are disjoint.  You will definitely need the
latest development version, which may not have been issued.

(The ability to cope with this may be subject to further refinement, as
I think simply enabling it unconditionally could result in a the
addition of a new machine pulling all the others to its time.