[ntp:questions] query on NTP - ORPHAN MODE

sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 18:56:24 UTC 2009

I am testing NTP - ORPHAN mode in Windows XP using 6 nodes in the n/w.

1) I've identically configured the nodes (6 nos) using the below
config file
as both broadcastclient and broadcast mode with orphan mesh.

ntp.conf:
-------------
driftfile "C:\NTP\etc\ntpd.drift"
keys "C:\NTP\etc\ntpd.keys"
trustedkey 1
tinker panic 0
tos orphan 6
broadcastclient
broadcast 39.95.255.255 key 1
2) NONE of the nodes are configured to use external servers.

3) During testing I noticed that ALL of the nodes become orphan parent
and FAILED to sync each other with SAME stratum.

Question:
---------------
1) Is the test scenario is valid?

2) Is this an expected behaviour ( it will FAIL to sync when there is
no time-sync) ?

2) Will nodes time-sync in ORPHAN MODE ONLY when One or more
participants
configured to use an outside source (either a reference clock or
another
Internet server) and system stratum set as orphan stratum and a leader
is elected
to serve as the reference source??

Please clarify. Your response would be of great help to me.