[ntp:questions] query on NTP - ORPHAN MODE

dwd sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:08:52 UTC 2009

On Apr 20, 5:30 am, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2009-04-20, sheikdawoodraj... at gmail.com wrote:

> >> What version of NTP are you using?
>
> > I am using NTPv4.2.4p5 version.
>
> All ntp-4.2.4 releases and the early ntp-4.2.5 releases (before ~p120)
> are not suitable for long term Orphan mode "time islands".
>
> If you are using on of these versions you should have one machine on
> your LAN configured with the Undisciplined Local Clock as a "time
> source."
>
> > Will development version a STABLE one to use?
>
> Are you asking "is the development release stable enough to use"?
>
> --
> Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org>
> NTP Public Services Project -http://support.ntp.org/

Thanks for your response, Steve.

[Steve] Are you asking "is the development release stable enough to
use"?
[Dawood] Yes. I do like to know which version of NTP is suitable for
long term Orphan mode "time islands".

AND...

>From the source:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/assoc.html#modes

Where no associations for other servers or reference clocks are
configured,
the orphan stratum can be set to 1.

I noticed the Orphan mode "time islands" working with the below
configuration file.

ntp.conf
## ALL 6 nodes configured with "tos orphan 1" stratum because NO
associations
## for other servers/external sources -or- ref clocks are configured!!

driftfile "C:\NTP\etc\ntpd.drift"
keys "C:\NTP\etc\ntpd.keys"
trustedkey 1
tinker panic 0