[ntp:questions] logconfig configkeyword , keyword(s0 , where deifned & some heady example(s) .

Mr. James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Tue Apr 21 23:14:35 UTC 2009

 	Hello All ,  I've not done an exhaustive search for examples .
 	But ntp.org website is supposed to be the 'Reference' for the
documentation of ntpd .
 	Where is a more verbose description for configuration purposes ?
 	Also the logconfig does not like the '='s sign .  It does appreciate a ' ' instead .

 		Tia ,  JimL

logconfig configkeyword
     This command controls the amount and type of output written to the system
syslog facility or the alternate logfile log file. All configkeyword keywords
can be prefixed with =, + and -, where = sets the syslogmask, + adds and -
removes messages. syslog messages can be controlled in four classes (clock,
peer, sys and sync). Within these classes four types of messages can be
controlled: informational messages (info), event messages (events), statistics
messages (statistics) and status messages (status).

     Configuration keywords are formed by concatenating the message class with
the event class. The all prefix can be used instead of a message class. A
message class may also be followed by the all keyword to enable/disable all
messages of the respective message class. By default, logconfig output is set to
allsync.

     Thus, a minimal log configuration could look like this:

     logconfig=syncstatus +sysevents

         This would just list the synchronizations state of ntpd and the major
system events. For a simple reference server, the following minimum message
configuration could be useful:

     logconfig=allsync +allclock

         This configuration will list all clock information and synchronization
information. All other events and messages about peers, system events and so on
is suppressed.