[ntp:questions] query on NTP - ORPHAN MODE

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Thu Apr 23 02:07:12 UTC 2009

dwd wrote:
> On Apr 20, 8:05 am, Augustine <evan... at mailinator.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 19, 1:56 pm, sheikdawoodraj... at gmail.com wrote:
>>

>>> 1) I've identically configured the nodes (6 nos) using the below
>>> config file
>>> as both broadcastclient and broadcast mode with orphan mesh.
>>> ntp.conf:
>>> -------------
>>> driftfile "C:\NTP\etc\ntpd.drift"
>>> keys "C:\NTP\etc\ntpd.keys"
>>> trustedkey 1
>>> tinker panic 0
>>> tos orphan 6
>>> broadcastclient
>>> broadcast 39.95.255.255 key 1
>> You might try without authentication by removing "key 1" from the line
>> above and adding a new line "disable auth".  BTW, shouldn't you have
>> included a line "enable bclient" as well?
>>
>> HTH
>
> I think... In a boadcast mode it's allowed to have authentication.
> "enable blient" is not required as it gets enabled by default.

Authentication is required by default for broadcast because any other
node in the network can send you packets via the broadcast address. If
you turn off authentication (disable auth) then it does not try to
authenticate the server sending the broadcast packets which can be
dangerous.  The miscopt page looks like it's wrong about "enable
bclient" since it always seems to be enabled by default.

Danny

believed to be clean.