[ntp:questions] Deciding whether NTP is synchronised?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Fri Apr 24 21:15:35 UTC 2009

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

>     rc = adjtimex(&timex);
>     return (rc >= 0 && rc != TIME_ERROR);

I don't believe that recent versions of ntpd ever invalidate this once
it has become valid.  I think you would need to make a management mode
query to the server to get a true indication of whether it thinks it is
locked.

Whilst ntpd thinking itself locked is generally good enough if you only
want to be accurate to a few hundred milliseconds, If you are working at
ntpd's performance limits, you will have to wait for a long time after
this state before the time is really precise.