[ntp:questions] (no subject)

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Sat Apr 25 04:14:02 UTC 2009

>ISTR that PHK has been running NTPD on Soekris single board computers
>with the program and O/S (if any) in PROM.  When you don't have a file
>system or much in the way of hardware and you run a single application,
>you don't NEED much of an O/S.

Several OS-es (and/or distributions) can be packaged to run
without much of a file system.  The basic idea is to run out of RAM.
Installing over a network is a common example.

That doesn't get you a super light-weight system.  It gets you
a familiar heavy-weight system that's been trimmed down a whole
lot.  It's small realative to the typical bloated setup.  It's
bloated relative to what you need to just keep accurate time.