[ntp:questions] Can the line audio out of HF radio be used to sync ntp. Trying to get a cheap ($) radio method.

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Apr 30 15:19:05 UTC 2009

> From: Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca>
> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:24:12 GMT
> Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.org
>
> Nathaniel Homier <ntp at universal-mechanism.org> writes:
>
> >Hello.
>
> >I would like to know if one can use the line audio out of any old
> >portable shortwave radio tuned to a time signal and fed via a line audio
> >input.  This would be motherboard audio.  The primary reason is that I
> >get the impression that ntp radio clocks are for sale at very high
> >prices.  The most I have to spend is about $200.  I already have very
> >nice Sony 7600G HF portable and that gets the time freq. from 2.5 to 15
> >very well.  My computer is the new pci express and I have no serial port.
>
> If you have $200, why not get a GPS 18LVC for about $70 and pay your local
> radio hobbyist to install an RS232 plug and a USB poser plug. That way you
> wil get microsecond rather than millisecond accuracy.

He says that he lacks a serial port. That leaves USB which is a terrible
choice, so...

Does the card really lack any serial support? While more and more mobos
lack a serial connector, most still have a serial interface. (I have
never seen wone that does not.) It is usually presented on a header and
you can bring it out to a standard connector, usually one mounted to fit
in a card slot, but having no card, so it just replaces a blank panel.

There is also often a need to enable the second serial port, either in
BIOS or via a jumper or switch on the mobo. The mobo documents should
cover this and are a;most certainly available from the manufacturer's
web site.

If the card really lacks serial support, please post the make and model
so people can avoid it. (And not just because of NTP.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)